Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Happiness!

Every so often, I start thinking about Ada's life and her future.  There was a time when I would get sad thinking about this, but now I don't.  Really, it comes down to how I never really thought much about "the meaning of life" before I found out I was pregnant with a daughter with Down syndrome.  After that, I thought a lot about it.

Mostly I think there isn't one meaning of life.  Everyone's life means something different, but... I think the most important thing is happiness.  I know that Ada can have that.  Happiness is possible whether or not someone has an intellectual disability or physical disability.  I don't think this is coming off sounding as enlightening as I had hoped, but that about sums it all up.

You can't put value on a person's life.  You can't say one person is more important than the next because, in reality, we are all pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  My life isn't going to change the life of the entire universe.  I will touch as many people as I can and I plan to teach both of my children to do the same and not to worry too much about the rest.  Just do whatever it is that makes you happy and your life will have meaning.  I will do my best to make my children happy and to teach them to always be respectful of others.

Speaking of children, Brady just woke up!  Time to continue the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment